7 Quick Steps to being more Assertive
Not being assertive enough is a common problem for most people. There are always times when we don’t speak up for ourselves – we decide it is best just to leave things alone. The problem is if we continually fail to assert ourselves when we are unhappy, this in turn has a compound effect on our confidence. If left unchecked it can lead to depression, anxiety disorders, anger management issues and low self-esteem.
Follow the steps below the next time you need to be assertive and learn how easy it can be:
Clearly state what it is you would like or would like to happen
- Listen to the other person’s point of view fully
- Keep your cool – becoming aggressive will only start a unproductive argument
- Use open body language and expressive gestures
- Maintain eye contact – although avoid glaring at the other person for the entire conversation!
- Look for the win-win solution – it’s the quickest way to achieve an agreement
- Practice – changing our behaviour takes time and being assertive becomes easier with practice.